max extents in temp segment in tablespace - ORA-01630

From: miff <miff_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1995/10/23

I have been getting the following error on occasion when doing large data moves in Oracle 7.1 (.4.1.10):

create table X as select * from Y { where y is a 17000 row table}

ORA-01630 max # extents (20) reached in temp segment in tablespace DATA2. after which I query: select * from sys.dba_tablespaces where tablespace_name = 'DATA2'

which provides me with :
initial_extent 12288
next_extent 12288

min            1
max            20

PCTINCREASE 0

The datafile (data2.dbf) for this tablespace is 940 Megabytes.

It would seem to me that I need to increase the storage parameters for the tablespace DATA2, however alter tablespace does not allow this. (Alter seems to only address default storage in tablespaces)

1.)  Should this have been handled during creation of the tablespace?
2.)  Is there anything that i can do about it now?
3.)  What is the signifigance of 'temp segment in tablespace'?  Can I
access or modify this segment?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

-miff Received on Mon Oct 23 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message