Re: Tips for new DBA ?

From: Peter Moore <pt_at_chaff.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1995/10/23

In article: <46euma$dme_at_newsbf02.news.aol.com> sheilahj_at_aol.com (SheilahJ)
> Be sure that you don't mess with things you don't understand. If
> necessary, use whatever defaults Oracle gives you, then study what you are
> wanting to change.

BUT...

  1. Change PCTINCREASE to zero wherever possible.
  2. Make you tablespace sizes nice round numbers.
  3. Similarly, change INITIAL and NEXT extent sizes to nice round numbers that will fit snugly in your T/spaces.
  4. Try to figure out sensible values for PCTUSED and PCTFREE.
  5. Make sure that only SYS (and poss. SYSTEM) objects are stored in the SYSTEM tablespace. If you can create a TOOLS tablespace for the SYSTEM user.
  6. Create a TEMP tablespace and make sure that all users have it as their TEMPORARY TABLESPACE.
  7. If any users will create ad-hoc tables, etc give them a separate USER tablespace as DEFAULT TABLESPACE.
  8. Run daily reorts showing space used, space remaining, largest next extents, segments with greater than 5 extents, etc; and act on those reports ASAP.
  9. A golden rule: If you apply a new version, or upgrade, of Oracle to a test database first you will find only 50% of the _new_ bugs.
  10. Take a set of manuals home with you. Make sure that you can dial in at any time (night or day). If you ever need to pull an all-nighter (you will!) it's more comfortable to do it at home rather than in a cold, empty office.

Time to stop. I could go on...:)

Apologies if any of these have been said before.

Regards,

Pete