Re: SQL*NET V2 ORA-12203 and ORA-12500 errors, or, does SQL*NET V2 really work ?

From: Richard A. Woods <rawoods_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1995/10/22

In <469a78$25m_at_suned1a.nswses.navy.mil> grape_at_suned1.nswses.navy.mil (Mike . Grapevine) writes:

>Well, I added some lines to my LISTENER.ORA file at the suggestion of
 the
>SQLNET V2 manual, and now when I try to connect, I get the message:
>
> ERROR: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> ORA-07318: smsget: open error when opening sgadef.dbf file.
> HP-UX Error: 2: No such file or directory
>
>I added these lines to the LISTENER.ORA file:
>
> (ADDRESS=
> (PROTOCOL = IPC)
> (KEY = TOMAHAWK)
> )
>
>I get this entry in the SQLNET.LOG file after trying to connect with
 V2:

>********************* SQLNET.LOG new entry

>Fatal OSN connect error 12538, connecting to:
> (LOCAL=NO)
>
> VERSION INFORMATION:
> TNS for HPUX: Version 2.1.3.0.0 - Production
> Unix Domain Socket IPC NT Protocol Adaptor for HPUX: Version
 2.1.3.0.0 - Production
> Oracle Bequeath NT Protocol Adapter for HPUX: Version
 2.1.3.0.0 - Production
> Time: 20-OCT-95 15:42:47
> Tracing not turned on.
> Tns error struct:
> nr err code: 0
> ns main err code: 12538
> TNS-12538: TNS:no such protocol adapter
> ns secondary err code: 12560
> nt main err code: 508
> TNS-00508: No such protocol adapter
> nt secondary err code: 0
> nt OS err code: 0

>Hmmmmm, does this mean I don't have some protocol adaptor installed,
 or installed
>incorrectly. I have the SQLNET V2 TCP/IP 2.1.3 adaptor installed.
>
>My LISTENER.ORA file now looks like:
>
>*********************** LISTENER.ORA

>################
># Filename......: listener.ora
># Node..........: phoenix.world
># Date..........: 28-OCT-94 11:37:08
>################
>LISTENER =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS=
> (PROTOCOL = IPC)
> (KEY = CRUISE1)
> )
> (ADDRESS=
> (PROTOCOL = IPC)
> (KEY = TOMAHAWK)
> )
> (ADDRESS =
> (PROTOCOL = tcp)
> (HOST = phoenix)
> (PORT = 1521)
> )
> )
>
>STARTUP_WAIT_TIME_LISTENER = 0
>CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER = 10
>TRACE_LEVEL_LISTENER = ADMIN
>
>SID_LIST_LISTENER =
> (SID_DESC =
> (SID_NAME = CRUISE1)
> (ORACLE_HOME = /apps/phoenix/ora7)
> (TNS_ADMIN = /apps/phoenix/ora7/network/admin)
> )

>--
> Michael D. Grapevine
> US DoD
> Naval Surface Warfare Center - Port Hueneme Division
> Code 4G53
> 4363 Missile Way
> Port Hueneme, CA 93043-4307
> Email 1: grape_at_suned1.nswses.navy.mil
> Email 2: MIKE_GRAPEVINE_at_4G-GATEWAY.Nswses.Navy.Mil
> Email 3: grape_at_fishnet.net
> Bus: (805) 982-7791
> FAX: (805) 652-1664
>
> ("Oh ya, I heard it through the ....")
> Any statements / opinions made here are mine, alone, not the
 Navy's.

Mike,

I suspect you've got something wrong with your TCP/IP configuration. Are you using the same client/server IP connection for anything else? The ORA-12637 indicates a native service failure, typically occuring on the server, but not necessarily becuase of a server configuration problem. Make sure the TCP/IP software you're using on the client is compatible, checking both the vendors and respective version numbers. Also make sure the client TCP/IP vendor is one supported by the JSB Virtual Sockets Library (see vsl.ini file in the Windows directory of a client PC or the distribution media.) I think your hosts and services files are ok as the listener trace file shows a connection, albeit a brief one, was made.

Note - your listener.ora file in this message is wrong because the KEY= value must specify a valid SID in tnsnames.ora, thus KEY=TOMAHAWK isn't valid.

Rich Woods
Oracle Worldwide Customer Support Received on Sun Oct 22 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message