Newbie needs help installing 90 day Solaris x86 Oracle trial

From: Alvis D. Harding Jr. <adh_at_news.ach.uams.edu>
Date: 1995/10/21

I'm trying to get the 90 trial of Oracle 7.1 Workgroup Server up and running on my Solaris 2.4 x86 computer. I'm having several difficulties and am extremely hampered by my newness to Oracle. One is trying to get into the User Manager so I can add a new user. When I start the User Manager, the default Username is SYSTEM and the default Database is ORCL. What's the password to the SYSTEM username and is this the user I need to log in as to add users? It's not the same password as I entered when I installed the trial
(the one I typed for the Database Password Manager). In "Appendix B:
Advanced Administration" is says the password to the SYS account is 'change_on_install'. Not it either. What is it?

I also can't start the online documentation. When I click on the Help button from otoolbar, it brings up an xterm and asks me if I want to continue with the Online Document installation or whether I just want to bring up Oracle Book. Oracle Books acts like it is starting but when the two windows are fully mapped, they just dissapear. How do I get at the Online Documentation?

And lastly, 'tnslsnr' is eating up all my CPU cycles. Here's what top has to say.

  PID USERNAME PRI NICE SIZE RES STATE TIME WCPU CPU COMMAND  3870 oracle7 -15 0 2484K 640K run 15:25 43.75% 94.44% tnslsnr

tnslsnr is started with the 'tcp_listener -inherit' arguments. truss reports that tnslsnr is repeatedly calling (the ordering may be reversed):

poll(0x080438FC, 1, 0)                          = 0
gettimeofday(0x08045B00)                        = 0

Appended to this email is the output from 'tnslsnr' from the installation.

If anyone can offer and advice I'd appreciate it! I'm trying to get a lot of this going this weekend...

  • tnslsnr output ----

Starting /opt/oracle7/bin/tnslsnr: please wait...

TNSLSNR for SVR4: Version 2.1.5.1.0 - Production System parameter file is /var/opt/oracle/listener.ora Log messages written to /opt/oracle7/network/log/tcp_listener.log Listening on: (DESCRIPTION=(CONNECT_TIMEOUT=10)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=myhostname)(PORT=1521)))

Connecting to (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=myhostname)(PORT=1521)) STATUS of the LISTENER

Alias                     tcp_listener
Version                   TNSLSNR for SVR4: Version 2.1.5.1.0 - Production
Start Date                21-OCT-95 11:34:02
Uptime                    0 days 0 hr. 0 min. 0 sec
Trace Level               off
Security                  OFF
Listener Parameter File   /var/opt/oracle/listener.ora
Listener Log File         /opt/oracle7/network/log/tcp_listener.log
Services Summary...
  ORCL          has 1 service handlers

The command completed successfully
                                                                 -Alvis

Alvis Harding Jr.                                 Arkansas Children's Hospital
Systems Analyst                                         Cardiac Imaging Center

(501) 320-3613 Little Rock, AR 72202
adh_at_george.ach.uams.edu http://www.ach.uams.edu/~adh