Re: HPUX V10.01 and Raw Devices

From: Roger Harris <rharris_at_kraft.com>
Date: 1995/10/20

mmercer_at_talusinc.com (Mark Mercer) wrote:
>I have set up several Oracle databases, both V6 and V7, using HPUX LVM raw
>devices under HPUX 9.04
> A few caveats:
>
>2) Set permissions to crw-rw-rw- for the given LVMs.
>
>mbm

It is better to change the owner of the LVM to oracle and set the permissions to crw-------. This prevents users from snooping around in your tablespaces. Since the oracle executable file ($ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle) has the setuid bit set and is owned by oracle, your users don't need even read privileges on the DB files or raw partitions.

Roger Harris
DBA
Kraft Foods
White Plains, NY Received on Fri Oct 20 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message