Re: RAID 5 performance

From: Gary McCready <72607.726_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 1995/10/20

Ashley, 100440.1227_at_compuserve.com, said

>I am not surprised at the results you have achieved, the problem
appears to be one of the fact that you appear to have configured RAID
>in software, by that I mean that VMS is doing all the work of
 cutting
>down your data-block into 4 pieces (one for each disk) and
 building
>the checksums etc. for placing on the parity disk (This is in
 fact, as
>pointed out already, RAID 3).

Actually, with a VMS system, you can either have the O/S do it, or have it be done with the controller, as in this case (I work with the original poster). We're still looking at exactly where the bottleneck is, but we are trying to trade off redundancy with performance, when we don't yet know if the performance we get running RAID5 will actually be a bottleneck in the system.

--Gary McCready
Gary_at_McCready.com

--
Gary McCready, TIAA-CREF (212) 916-5807; Gary_at_McCready.COM
Recently moved to (Wonderful) Westfield, NJ.