Re: SQL*Net Problem - Passing through a firewall

From: David Sidwell <dasidwel_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1995/10/19

In article <4633jj$hem_at_usenet.continental.com>, Darryl Smith <dsmith_at_continental.com> wrote:

> I am trying to connect SQL*Net V2 request from an rs6000 through a sun
> firewall to an SGI web server. The port defined is 1521 which passes
> through the firewall and is passed to the web server through port 1521.
> The problem is the return trip is sending through a random port in the
> 6000 range. Is there any way to define which port it will actually be
> sent through. The gateway is defined to allow only the rs6000 server to
> the SGI server to communicate through port 1521. We can not allow a
> random port as we need to limit our exposure into our database.
>

> Any Ideas?

The problem is that IP port redirection is required when using any of:

  MTS and Dispatchers,
  Pre-spawned servers,
  Operating Systems that do not allow port sharing.

In the above cases the processes perform a wildcard listen to obtain a unique dynamically allocated IP port number.

In the above cases you either need to open up a wide range of IP ports in advance (not a good idea), or use an application proxy on the firewall. Currently you could use Oracle's MultiProtocol Interchange as a SQL*Net application proxy on the firewall machine itself.

As a workaround try configuring only dedicated server processes. Received on Thu Oct 19 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message