Re: Inserting data via Forms4.5

From: John Strange <jstrange_at_imtn.dsccc.com>
Date: 1995/10/18

Create flags in block 1 which are set in blocks 2-4 where required. Test each flag during block1 pre-insert. If a flag is null, pop up a message telling the user to go fill out block x and raise form failure.

Janice Powell (powell_at_clemson.edu) wrote:
:> I have an application that has 4 blocks (Block 1 - Block 4). When I
:> "commit" changes, are they performed on these blocks in the order they
:> are listed in the object navigator? For ex., when a commit is issued,
:> is Block 1 inserted/updated/etc. before Block 2, etc.?
:> If I use a form-level pre-insert trigger, doesn't that fire each time a
:> row is inserted into ANY of the 4 tables represented? I had
:> considered using a form-level pre-insert trigger, but some of the code
:> in the trigger would be specific to individual blocks. Thus, I didn't
:> know how to qualify "if inserting Block 1 do this"; so, I have
:> pre-insert triggers at the block level.
:> But this is also causing problems as there is some data in Block 3 that
:> needs to be saved into Block 1 as well. But if the data in Block 3 is
:> not set until it is inserted, it will not be available for the Block 1
:> pre-insert trigger.
:> Is there a way to have the blocks display in one sequence, but have
:> them save in another sequence?
:>
:> Please post replies to the newsgroup and/or me directly at
:> powell_at_clemson.edu.
:>
:> Thanks in advance.
:>
:> --JP
:> p.s.
:> I REALLY appreciate the replies individuals have sent to my prior
:> questions; they have been very helpful!

--
This posting represents the personal opinions of the author. It is not the
official opinion or policy of the author's employer. Warranty expired when you