Re: DELPHI - What do you think?

From: Phil Sewell <sewell_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1995/10/18

Sorry if I ruffled a few feathers, just trying to suggest an alternative approach to most of the tools that developers are programming with today.

Phil

Mark Surfas (Mark_at_criticalmass.com) wrote:
: sewell_at_netcom.com (Phil Sewell) wrote:
: >I've heard that its language is similar to PASCAL, if that's what you are
: >looking for ! I'd say it's success lies with any group of developers who
: >like to learn and hold the key to proprietary langauges. I'd suggest
: >tools that reduce or perhaps eliminate the need to learn proprietary
: >languages and focus on defining applications from the aspect of a
: >business model and using industry standard SQL.
: >

: 1. The language is Object Pascal. IT's fast, Heavily TYPED, an easy
: path to OOP and a joy to work with.

: 2. It's an extension of Pascal. I don't consider it to be proprietary.
: You might argue that it is, but alot of old-line pascal programmers are
: now able to easily convert their knowledge to a GUI paradigm.

: 3. I think it's much more powerful than VB, As fast as C (and much easier
: to use) and has a killer interface.

: 4. If delphi can get past the Borland connection it may be huge.

: I won't flame the prior post (I'm new to this group) but I don't think his
: post has much merit.

: >
: >Jennifer Blair (BTT_at_ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: >: My company is considering sending several trainers to learn Delphi, the
: >: new Borland front-end. I'd like to get some opinions from developers
: >: out there as to whether this will be a worth-while investment. Do you
: >: see Delphi as a viable front-end? Will it be as big as Powerbuilder?

: >: Has anyone beta-tested the new version? Any companies thinking of
: >: going in this direction in the future?

: >: You feedback will be greatly appreciated.

: >: TIA

: >: Jennifer Blair, President
: >: Blair Technical Training
: >: Specializing in UNIX and ORACLE training..
: >: and maybe, Delphi ?
: >:
: >--

: --
: Mark Surfas - Technical Director

: Critical Mass Communications
: HTTP://CriticalMass.Com
: Phone: (714) 494-9599 x6010

: Home of the Comp.Infosystems Searchable Archive!
: RealAudio, MindWire, Secure Transactions, Concordance

--

Philip Sewell
Sales and Marketing Support

sewell_at_netcom.com