Re: HPUX V10.01 and Raw Devices

From: Carolyn Binder <cbinder_at_texas.net>
Date: 1995/10/17

Hi, Mary
I'm resending this because my connection died just as I was replying, and I don't know if it made it through or not.....

In a response to an earlier posting by someone else asking about raw devices, Nalini Vallampati recommended a paper from ORACLE entitled "Making the Decision to use UNIX Raw Devices" by Cary V.Millsap. This is a very good place to start. From what I've heard and am learning, they are probably more of a headache than they are worth, especially if you have sysadms and DBAs who are not very familiar with raw devices. I'm using them because I have to --Parallel Server requires them--not by choice. We've already had some interesting mishaps, like assigning the same slice to both ORACLE and the DLM, and are still setting things up to make our life easier, like using links so we can use more friendly 'filenames'. We don't have a database up and running yet, so I can't speak to performance ......

Carolyn

In article <45v9cc$9g4_at_cc.iu.net>, mthomas_at_iu.net says...