Ever wanted to load/unload data?

From: Dan Langille <dvl_at_actrix.gen.nz>
Date: 1995/10/14

I'm trying to gauge public interest in a tool I'm thinking of providing.

I once helped someone out with a data load/unload problem they were having. I wrote them a few functions which would unload data into a text file or load the data back into the database. It used the CSV format for this. More and more functions were added to the suite and the freeware package is now known as DVL Utilities. It is distributed free of charge and is a Windows DLL (3.11, NT, or 95).

Briefly, the programmer can specify what data to unload and the code handles everything. All you must do is specify "SELECT * FROM My_Table" or something like that.

However, this only works with Gupta products (and whatever databases their product can front-end). I'm thinking of creating an ODBC version which would presumably cater to a much wider audience.

Have you ever wanted to do this type of thing with your database? How many times have you wished you had such a tool? I'm just trying to see if I should go ahead. I don't want to convert the product if no one would need it.

thanks

Dan Langille - Wellington, New Zealand Received on Sat Oct 14 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message