WIN A SHARP WIZARD - JUST 10 QUESTIONS

From: chasp <chasp_at_morgan.com>
Date: 1995/10/14

This short survey is being conducted by Morgan Stanley & Co., Inc. Morgan Stanley is global investment banking firm in New York. We have over 100 analysts following various industries - 9 of which analyze different technology related industries. We are interested in end user opinions of some key technologies to assess the direction of the market.

WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU:
1. Your name will be entered in a drawing for a win a Sharp Wizard if you reply to this email with the questions filled in. (you can also fax your responses in).
2. You will get the results of the survey emailed back to you if you wish.
3. You can get on our electronic distribution list for our software research reports if you wish.

AND FOR US:
A better understanding of end user technology directions.

All individual responses are confidential. Replies must be received by October 22nd to be elgible for the drawing. If you have questions, feel free to call me. I hope this post doesn't offend anyone but it's short and we think we are offering more than we are receiving. After all, the net is an open place (I hope). You can flame me via channels below or contact me for industry gossip/chatter.

Chuck Phillips, CFA, Esq.
Software Industry Analyst
Morgan Stanley & Co., Inc.
1585 Broadway, 14th floor
New York, NY 10036
212-761-4450 phone, 212-761-9659 fax
chasp_at_ms.com

SURVEY FOLLOWS: 10 QUESTIONS

  1. What percent of your production applications access a relational database (excluding DB2 on the mainframe)?_______%

2.What percent of your legacy applications will be converted to client/server applications which access relational databases over the next two years?_______%

3. What percent of your data is stored in a relational database format (as opposed to hierarchical or networked databases)? _______%

                              Today         By 1997
Relational format               %              %

4. What size relational databases do you have in production?

Average _______ (gigabytes)
Largest _______ (gigabytes)

5. What is the dominant operating system for your client server applications under development? (place "X" in the appropriate columns as needed; multiple Xs ok in a column)

                        Today         By 1997
Windows/NT                .              .
Unix non-Intel            .              .
Unix on Intel             .              .
NetWare                   .              .
OS/2                      .              .
MVS                       .              .
OS/400                    .              .
NetWare                   .              .

6. What is the relational database for your client server applications under development? (place "X" in the appropriate columns as needed; multiple Xs ok in a column)

                        Today         By 1997
Microsoft SQLServer       .              .
Oracle                    .              .
Informix                  .              .
Sybase                    .              .
DB/2 for Unix             .              .
DB2                       .              .
SQL/400                   .              .
Gupta                     .              .
Watcomm                   .              .
Progress                  .              .
CA/Ingres                 .              .

7. What company do you anticipate will supply you with the technology and tools to build Internet Web sites over the next three years? (Netscape, Microsoft, Oracle, Informix, etc)?

8. What operating system do you and will you use as a network opeating system? (place "X" in the appropriate columns as needed; multiple Xs ok in a column)

                        Today         By 1997
Microsoft Windows/NT      .              .
NetWare 3.x               .              .
NetWare 4.x,5.x           .              .
Banyan                    .              .
IBM Lan Server            .              .
Unix                      .              .
Other_____                .              .

9. By what percent do you expect your overall information technology budget to increase or decrease in 1996? _______%

  1. By what percent will your spending on software increase or decrease next year? _______%

*Please leave your signature here (name, company, title, address, phone, and email)

THANKS A LOT AND LOOK FOR THE RESULTS AND THE WINNER TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON!! Received on Sat Oct 14 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message