Re: IBM-MVS Mainframe -> Oracle on Windows NTS

From: Paul Anderson <panderso_at_ottawa.net>
Date: 1995/10/14

sjmcin_at_ingr.com (Scott McIntyre) wrote:

>Does anyone have any experience or ideas related to
>connecting a IBM MVS mainframe host as a CLIENT
>to a Windows NT server ?
>
>We would like to provide the capability for
>a user of the IBM mainframe to retrieve data which
>is stored in a Oracle database on a Windows NT server.
>
>Are any API's or development kits available that we could
>use to build a NT server application that can receive and process
>requests from the mainframe.
>
>The existing environment includes a Novell SAA gateway
>on a token-ring lan.
>
>I look forward to any input or recommendations.
>------
>Scott McIntyre
>sjmcin_at_ingr.com

MVS can be a client to any Oracle database on any platform. You don't say what tool you would like to use on the MVS mainframe, but as long as it has connectivity to the NT Server there shouldn't be much problem.

You say there's a Novell SAA gateway. Is the Novell box connected to the NT box in some fashion? You don't talk about a direct connection from the MVS box to the NT Server, so I'll guess there isn't one. In that case, you will need an Oracle tool on the mainframe (SQL*Plus, Pro*COBOL, etc.) plus SQL*NET APPC. That will be enough to connect it to the Novell box on which you will need to run SQL*Net APPC and an Oracle7 database. Using a database link and SQL*Net TCP/IP, you can then connect to the NT server. Netbios should work here as well.

If there is a direct connection from the m/f to the NT box (say, via TCP), then it's simpler. You'll just need the tool on MVS plus SQL*Net for TCP/IP. And you will need S*N TCP on the NT box plus the database.

No API required.