Re: Need advice on RAID5

From: Glenn Stauffer <stauffer_at_swarthmore.edu>
Date: 1995/10/13

In article <DGAEy1.6G1_at_gak.nl>, rheemske_at_gak.nl (Rob Heemskerk) wrote:

-3. For tables wich are accessed most of the time for read operations
-RAID5 is the solution (improved reliabiltiy and performance).
-

I'm under the impression that RAID5 doesn't give any appreciable read performance gain over a RAID 0 (striping). Reliability, of course, improves.

One note. On a RAID 5 system, the loss of one disk is recoverable. The loss of two disks means total loss of the RAID volume. That is what I understand, anyway, correct me if I'm wrong, please.

--

Glenn Stauffer
DBA, Swarthmore College Received on Fri Oct 13 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message