SQL*net - is there a "heartbeat" transmission?

From: Andrew Jones (lrpr_at_unb.ca) <LRPR_at_UNB.CA>
Date: 1995/10/13

   We have currently set up for dial-in access by having our clients run Remote Lan Node software (originally from DataStorm) on their PC, which makes it look like they are connected to the LAN they dialed to. Then the PC runs SQL*net v1, and forms3/menu5 for windows to remotely access our central DB server.

   The problem we have is that we want the dial connection to time out after 5 minutes of inactivity. This works fine when the PC is NOT connected to the DB; but when it is the connection never times out. My suspicion is that SQL*net is sending some sort of heartbeat transmission to the server to keep the connection established. If this is true, I'd like to know how to set it to a longer period than the 5 minute timeout on the RLN software, so that the timeout will happen normally. Anyone have any ideas, or know if I'm even close to the mark?

  Andrew Jones (LRPR_at_UNB.CA) "##include <standard disclaimer>"

| "Give up, Earthlings! Your superior |
| intelligence is no match for our puny |
| weapons!" |
| (The Simpsons' Halloween II Aliens) |