SQL+ buffer overflow on select * (minus the confusing message to steve)

From: Hagen Finley <hagen_at_violet.berkeley.edu>
Date: 1995/10/12

I have encountered another buffer problem using SQL+ (WIN95 beta)and possibly the seasoned DBA's who peruse this list will have time to consider it. Having integrated concatenation into my insert syntax,the inserts are working fine now, however, when I do a SELECT * FROM turning; I get a "buffer overflow" error which goes on to suggest I use SET to reduce the ARRAYSIZE or to increase the MAXDATA size. Apparently, the output to the screen associated with my table is larger than the buffer provided by SQL. I attempted to increase the MAXDATA to 5000 and then 10000, but those seemingly large numbers had no impact on my ablitity to display my longish VARCHAR2(750) text columns. I tried to find information on ARRAYSIZE and MAXDATA in the help files included with the WIN95 beta SQL+ release, but either the information is not there or the marginally functional help module is too hobbled to carry me to the proper help topic.

        Incidentally, I can display the line number & the English text columns or the line number & the German text, but not both.

SQL> SELECT * FROM turning;
buffer overflow. Use SET command to reduce ARRAYSIZE or increase MAXDATA.

SQL> SELECT line,etext FROM turning
  2 WHERE line > 30;

     LINE

ETEXT

       31
But man is used here in his essence that corresponds to that surmounting.

       32
In keeping with this, mans essence must first open itself to the essence of technology. This opening
 is, in terms of that coming-to-pass which discloses, something quite different from the event of ma
ns affirming technology and its means and promoting them.

SQL> SELECT line,gtext FROM turning
  2 WHERE line >30;

     LINE

GTEXT

       31
Aber der Mensch wird hier in seinem dieser Verwindung entsprechenden Wesen gebraucht.

       32
Damit aber das Menschenwesen achtsam werde auf das Wesen der Technik, damit zwischen Technik und Men
sch hinsichtlich ihres Wesens sich ein Wesensverh=E4ltnis stifte, mu=DF der neuzeithche Mensch zuvor all
ererst in die Weite seines Wesensraumes zur=FCckfinden. Received on Thu Oct 12 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message