Oracle 7.2 Gotchas Was Re: Oracle 7.2 on HP-UX 10.01...Any Gotchas?

From: Tony Jambu <aaj_at_phantom.telecom.com.au>
Date: 1995/10/12

In article <44rtds$1mo_at_butch.lmsc.lockheed.com>, Judie Stroup <stroup_at_Ops195.LMSC.Lockheed.Com> writes:
> So...planning to upgrade from 7.1.6 to 7.2 on my HP9000 running 10.01.
>
> Any skeletons in the closet?? Enquiring minds want to know.

Judie

There was a few discussion about this in the oracle-l mailing list.

These are just some that come to mind.

  1. The oracle installation is now NOT OFA Compliant. It does not know about OFA at all and is not documented in any of their manuals.
  2. There are syntax errors with their create default database. The TEMP tablespace creation statement fails with syntax error.

    From then on any DDL reference to the TEMP TS fails

3. The scripts are still using the 'grant resource on TS to USER'

    which is now not valid

4. A real bummer!!!!

    No more netman to help you setup SQL*Net2 and Names. Got no idea     whose bright idea it was to not distribute it. Real smart guys!

    What they have decided to do is to distribute the netman for the     Windows version only. This means that you have to configure it on     a PC and then distribute the files to your server.

    If you are storing the Oracle names definition in a database     (ROSDB instead of ROSFILE) on the server, then you are in a Catch 22.

     You can not configure SQL*Net2 names as you have not setup it up.  To
     do it you need SQL*Net2.  I know there are ways around it.  I am trying
     to make a point of it.

All these were discovered in less than 3 hours. One wonders if the term QA exist in the certain quarters of the Oracle organisation. I am not picking on Oracle as a whole but rather the QA and porting team (in this case).

Would some one in the know at Oracle like to defend your actions or do you admit to the stuff ups? We all make mistakes and that is acceptable. But it would have been nice to have been alerted of it via your bug list or a posting to the Internet anc Compuserve. :-(

ta
tony

--
 _____       ________ / ___ |Tony Jambu, Database Consultant
  /_  _        /_ __ /      |Wizard Consulting,Aust (ACN 065934778)