Re: Origin of Boiler Plate

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.CSUFresno.EDU>
Date: 1995/10/11

In article <307C6437.41CC_at_ibm.net> Alan Clement <aclem_at_ibm.net> writes:
>Can anyone tell me, or hazzard a guess as to the origin of the
>phrase 'Boiler Plate' used to describe static text placed on a
>Form canvas or a Report layout ?

Here's my attempt: Boilerplate is used to define text (in the word processing world) that may be used repeatedly in multiple documents. The word processing person simply pastes the "boilerplate" text into each new document as it is created.

A textbook I once read mentioned boilerplate text used by law firms.

Therefore... I can see the similarity to boilerplate in forms and reports.

Regards, Steve Cosner Received on Wed Oct 11 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message