Re: Tips for new DBA ?

From: <mreagan_at_fast.net>
Date: 1995/10/10

In article <azmoodehDG8r7D.3tI_at_netcom.com>, azmoodeh_at_netcom.com (Someone) wrote:
> First thing you want to do is to know how to backup the database. Once
> you do, shut it down, and make a full backup. This way, if you make a
> mistake, you can recover from it.

The next thing to do is to turn on archiving and leave it on. Of course, you will need to set it up:

One disk for archived redo logs
Two disks for online redo logs (make that three, if you can) etc.

Both of the books you have discuss this (well).

This will allow you to recover from media failures (blown drives, head crashes, etc).

The next thing you need is the phone numbers of some good DBAs in your area. When in doubt, call them. DBAs never sleep, so you won't wake them up. Most DBAs I know would be more than helpful. Every one of them started from your position and had to claw their way up.

Are you experiencing any problems with your current database? How big is it? What hardware platform/operating system? How many users? Are you up 7x24? Can you shut down for cold backups, or do you do hot backups only?

Matt... Received on Tue Oct 10 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message