Re: RDBMS on Netware or NT ?

From: Arne Bruening <bruening_at_wmd.de>
Date: 1995/10/10

Christian_Pfundtner_at_msn.com (Christian Pfundtner) wrote:

>Ulf Pettersson <Ulf.Pettersson_at_ims.ore.se> wrote:

>>Any special pros and cons in which OS (Netware 4.x or Windows
>>NT) I should use for a new Oracle database ?

>>All information in the area are very welcomed.

>>Thank you

>>/Ulf

>if you will use a Server for Database usage only. Novell is propably
>the better choice. If it is running. it is running very well. The
>problems appears if you try to use the Server als for other things
>like FAX-Services,... where problems with different NLM-Versions could
>appear.

>If you like to use other Services too on the same Server WinNt 3.5x
>will be the better choice, since Oracle on this OS is not so much
>depending on OS-Patches and such things.

>Oracle on the same Machine should be some percent faster under Novell,
>since there is no GUI which could cut time.

It's more than some percent. Oracle on NT is much slower than on NetWare.

Arne Bruening, WMD GmbH, Hamburg, Germany

Microsoft Network, or any service owned in full or in part by Microsoft, is prohibited from redistributing this work in any form, in whole or in part. Copyright, Arne Bruening, 1995. License to distribute this post is available to Microsoft for US$1,000 per instance, or equivalent local currency. Posting without permission constitutes an agreement to these terms. Please send notices of violation to bruening_at_wmd.de and postmaster_at_microsoft.com Received on Tue Oct 10 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message