Re: Connecting to a oracle NT server from sun solaris client?

From: Francisco Piragibe <piragibe_at_iis.com.br>
Date: 1995/10/10

burzin_at_twinsun.com (Burzin Engineer) wrote:

>Hello,
> I am trying to connect from a sun solaris 2.4 box (client)
>to a Windows NT box running Oracle server.
>I am running into a lot of problems. It is hard for me to know what
>the problems are as I am not that familiar with Oracle. Any help or
>a step-by-step guide will be appreciated.
>Here are the details..
>
>My loopback test on the NT box works fine.
>i.e. connect scott/tiger_at_t:kline/7560:ORCL works.
>
>My /etc/services on unix side has
>orasrv 7560/tcp
>
>My files on unix look like this:
>$ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/listener.ora
>LISTENER=orasrv
> (ADDRESS_LIST=
> (ADDRESS= (PROTOCOL=tcp) (HOST=kline) (PORT=7560))
> (ADDRESS= (PROTOCOL=IPC) (KEY=kline)
> )
> )
>
>STARTUP_WAIT_TIME_LISTENER = 0
>CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER = 10
>
>SID_LIST_LISTENER=
> (SID_LIST=
> (SID_DESC=
> (SID_NAME=ORCL)
> (ORACLE_HOME=/opt/oracle)
> )
> )
>
>TRACE_LEVEL_LISTENER = OFF
>PASSWORD_LISTENER = (2CCDA1FA29BAD2A4)
>
>I get the following errors when I try connecting from Solaris.
>
>connect scott/tiger_at_t:kline/7560:ORCL,conn-retries=5
>ORA-06401: NETCMN: invalid driver designator
>
>connect scott/tiger_at_nt
>ORA-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination
>
>My $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/tnsnames.ora file looks like:
>nt=
>(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)
> (PORT=7560) (HOST=kline))))
>
>Are there any files I missed??
>Thanks in advance.

It looks as though you have mixed two widely different products from ORACLE: SQL*Net 1 and SQL*Net 2. Orasrv is the usual name for the listener of Net 1 (the Net 2 listener is generally tnslsnr).

Also, the listener should run on the server (the NT box), not on the client (the UNIX system), unless this client also acts as a server. So, assuming you want to use Net 2, you should have both a tnsnames.ora and a sqlnet.ora files in the client machine, describing your servers, whereas each server would contain these two and a listener.ora file, that describes the listener. If you're using Net 1, none of these files are needed, but the NET driver should be linked to every client and server product you have.

Your successful loopback test indicates that the Net 1 listener (orasrv) is running on the server (NT), and your failure to connect to the NT machine using a Net 1 connect string indicates that your UNIX suite of products does not include Net 1 (SQL*Plus on UNIX does not have the SQL*Net TCP/IP 1 driver linked to it, so the ORA-6401 error). Your unsuccessful attempt to connect using a NET 2 connect string points to the absence of the NET 2 listener on the server.

You should make a decision on what NET product you want to use and start the appropriate listener on the server machine.

All the same, it's not a good idea using the same TCP port for Net 1 and Net 2. You should set another port number for NET 2, once port 7560 is allocated to NET 1 (orasrv service).

Best regards Received on Tue Oct 10 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message