Re: Designer 2000 - Motif version ?

From: Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC <seldin_at_i-2000.com>
Date: 1995/10/09

>We are currently planning a new developement environment for our
>Oracle CASE development. Our current machines are mostly HP 715
>workstations and a few PCs with Designer 2000.

>We are extremely happy with the productivity provided by the
>Unix workstations.

>Can anyone tell us, if Oracle will release Designer 2000 for
>for a unix platform in the near future.

I am a present Designer/2000 on the PC to read my HP Unix Oracle database. I have finally given up on the product. Oracle support for this product is horrible. The tutorial for the product is nothing more than a marketing pitch. Since receiving my package last month, they have already shipped 2 bug fix releases. I was told by an Oracle tech support person that Oracle plans on releasing fixes to the product every six weeks. To me this does not sound like a stable product. It sounds more like an alpha or beta.

I found the documentation to be a joke.... There is not even a reference manual or tutorial. When I asked Oracle Support on how I am supposed to learn the package, they told me to go to Oracle Training.

Remember that Designer/2000 does not support Oracle 7.0. I just received Erwin and got it up in a very short time. The re-engineering process went smoothly to download the HP Unix table elements to the PC. I have not used to product extensively as yet, however, my initial response is that Erwin is excellent.

Hope this helps...
Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC
Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP (For book information, please contact me by private E-mail)

INTERNET:seldin_at_i-2000.com
COMPUSERVE: 75567.2603_at_compuserve.com Received on Mon Oct 09 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message