illegal use of LONG datatype

From: Zima Yusim <zima_at_acsc.com>
Date: 1995/10/06

I have a table qw_blobs (I can't control this table, I can't change type of the fields because this table was created by an aplication that works on the top of Oracle)

describe qw_blobs

Name                            Null?    Type
 ------------------------------- -------- ----
 BLOBID                                   VARCHAR2(240)
 BLOBSEGSIZE                              NUMBER(38)
 BLOBSEGNUM                               NUMBER(38)
 BLOBSEG                                  LONG RAW

At some point I need to execute the following statement

INSERT INTO qw_blobs
SELECT blobid, blobsegsize, blobsegnum, blobseg FROM table_name.qw_blobs;

I am getting an error message:

SELECT blobid, blobsegsize, blobsegnum, blobseg FROM table_name.qw_blobs

                                          *
ERROR at line 2:
ORA-00997: illegal use of LONG datatype

or even if I am trying to execute SELECT statement

SELECT blobid, blobsegsize, blobsegnum, blobseg FROM table_name.qw_blobs I am getting an error message:
ERROR:
ORA-00932: inconsistent datatypes

no rows selected

What do you think? Is that an Oracle problem? Do you have any solutions?

Please email your responses to zima_at_acsc.com or call me at

                                310/815 - 4858 ask for Zinovy

				ACSC Inc.,
				3000 S. Robertson Blvd.,
				Los Angeles, CA 90034