Re: Online rollback segs on startup

From: <mlanda_at_vnet.ibm.com>
Date: 1995/10/06

In <451mb1$7bs_at_symiserver.symantec.com>, dlutz_at_symantec.com (David Lutz) writes:
>I an aware that a ROLLBACK_SEGMENTS statement in the parameter initialization file
>for Oracle 7 will put user created rollback segments online upon database startup.
>However, I also see that rollback segments the Oracle Server installer created are
>online upon startup but they are not in the paramteter initialization file. Can anyone
>tell me how this is done? How can rollback segments be kept online even though they
>are not in the parameter initialization file? The Oracle rollbacks I am refering
>are in a table space named ROLLBACK_DATA and are PUBLIC. My rollbacks segments are
>in a tablespace I created. The tablespace is online but the rollbacks segments are not.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>David Lutz
>dlutz_at_tlsolutions.com

Public rollback segments do not need to be included in the Oracle initialization file; they will brought online when the database instance is started (as long as they were not brought off line prior to shutting down the instance). Private rollback segments need to be included in the Oracle initialization file to be put on line when the database instance is started. If the names of the private rollback segments are not present in the init file they will be marked as offline. To bring a private rollback segment online isssue:

   ALTER ROLLBACK SEGMENT Private_rs_name ONLINE;

Note: You must have alter rollback segment privileges.

M.Landa Received on Fri Oct 06 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message