Re: 6 to 7 conversion

From: Alan Anderson <aranders_at_kosepc01.delcoelect.com>
Date: 1995/10/06

gordonh_at_acslink.net.au (Gordon E. Hooker) writes:
>Could any of you see any problems importing a version 6 database into
>version 7 say PO7. Obviously not space problems, but combatibility
>problems.

After having done exactly that, I can tell you about only two problems that we encountered. The first was unrelated to the database itself: we changed network drivers and had a bunch of trouble keeping all our connections working. The REAL difficulty was when we imported the data into the newly created V7 tables. Suddenly the database enforces all the constraints that we have defined! Our V6 data had slowly lost its integrity as careless programming and ad-hoc updates took its toll. We had to smooth out all the snags in our data before we could successfully import it into the V7 database.

We do have compatability problems, but they are all due to changing from SQL*NET V1 to V2, not from Oracle V6 to V7.

  • === === === = = = === === === === = = === = = = === = = === = # Alan Anderson # Ignorance can be fixed, but stupidity is permanent. # (I do not speak for Delco Electronics, and DE does not speak for me.)