Re: Packing tables/indexes

From: Loren Budd <Loren_Budd_at_nt.com>
Date: 1995/10/05

Paul Baumgartel <paulb_at_pcnet.com> wrote:
>tomr_at_postoffice.ptd.net (Tom Reifinger) wrote:
>>I know that export import will compress tables/indexes to 1 extent,
>>but how exactly do you get the table/index to drop unused blocks
>>due to data deletion?
>>
>>Any help would be appreciated
>>
>>TomR
>
>The only way to free space in a table due to deletion of rows is the TRUNCATE
>command, which deletes _all_ the rows in the table and optionally returns all
>extents but the initial allocation to the free pool. It's not possible to delete
>some of the rows of a table and free up some of the space.
>
>Paul

Deleting rows from TableA may free up space for inserting new rows into TableA but it will not free up the space for any other tables or indexes to use unless you compress the data via an export, drop or truncate, and import.

Loren Received on Thu Oct 05 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message