Re: Packing tables/indexes

From: Paul Baumgartel <paulb_at_pcnet.com>
Date: 1995/10/05

tomr_at_postoffice.ptd.net (Tom Reifinger) wrote:
>I know that export import will compress tables/indexes to 1 extent,
>but how exactly do you get the table/index to drop unused blocks
>due to data deletion?
>
>Any help would be appreciated
>
>TomR

The only way to free space in a table due to deletion of rows is the TRUNCATE command, which deletes _all_ the rows in the table and optionally returns all extents but the initial allocation to the free pool. It's not possible to delete some of the rows of a table and free up some of the space.

Paul Received on Thu Oct 05 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message