Re: ORACLE Configuration

From: Paul Baumgartel <paulb_at_pcnet.com>
Date: 1995/10/05

chswrvg9_at_ibmmail.com wrote:
[snip]

>- Should we run forms/reports/graphics from a file server or from the
> workstations disk ? Clients run WinOS2 and Windows 3.11.

Administration and maintenance are much easier if you keep one copy of applications on a file server to be shared by users. Make sure your network is humming, though.

>- Recommended configuration CPU/disk/RAM for above clients ?

Pentium 90, 500MB disk, minimum 16 MB (32 is better)

>- Shall developpers start designer/2000 from a file server or locally ?

No experience with this, but above arguments re maintenance apply.

>- Any experience in accessing Oracle on UNIX from a client running Smalltalk
> either on OS/2 Warp or Win95 ? Which SW is required ?

>- Is there a way to access Oracle DBs without SQL which should be considrable
> faster than SQL ?

There's no way to access Oracle data without SQL. You can get the SQL to Oracle in various different ways (forms, scripts, precompiled code, OCI), but SQL it must be.

Paul Received on Thu Oct 05 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message