Re: Exclusive Table Locks

From: <dbvision_at_inet.uni-c.dk>
Date: 1995/10/03

> Eric Sundby <eric.sundby_at_medaphis.com> writes:
> I have run into a situation where an application running on Oracle
> 7.1.4.1 seems to like to do full table locks as opposed to row level
> locking. Sometimes the locks do not get released correctly and I get
> whole departments hanging on that one locked table.
>
> Does anyone have an efficient way of identifying locks that are causing
> havoc on a system?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> -Eric Sundby-
> eric.sundby_at_medaphis.com

There's a tool from Bradmark called SQL Watch (SW) which might help you. SW can identify locks for you and you can also kill sessions which hangs. You are able to use a filter to select the lock type and modes you want to viewe.

If you use the blocked session tree window in SW you will see the sessions blocked with informations like Sid, Lock Type and Sess Username. You can then kill the users!!.

If you want to I can ship you a 30 days trial.

Tore Johannesen

DBVision
GL. Kongevej 47B
DK-1610 Kobenhavn V
tlf: +45 33 25 02 47
fax: +45 33 25 04 47 Received on Tue Oct 03 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message