Re: HOW TO USE ORACLE TEXTSERVER

From: Paul Anderson <panderso_at_ottawa.net>
Date: 1995/10/03

fqi_at_cyclops.tkna.com (Fong Qi) wrote:

>Hi,

>Is anyone knows how to setup oracle textserver and design application?
>If I have a VARCHAR2(120) long description in oracle table, what is
>normally you will setup textkey_id for textserver.

>table description
>name varchar2(40)
>address varcahr2(200)
>skill varchar2(120)

>How do I link column skill with textserver?

>Thanks,

If you've installed the Windows client piece of the TS3 product, then you will find an icon for the RTADMIN utility. This is a Forms 4.x app that allows you to register text tables. It also lets you define the indexing options for the table. Any one of the fields you describe can be an FTEXT field. You will need to add one more column to your table, however, and that is a NUMBER type column to serve as the TEXTKEY field. The textkey is a unique number that is assigned to each row of text.

After you've defined and registered the table you will need to run the Global Re-Indexing Utility against it. After that you may do searches either with the RTADMIN utility, or with a Forms or 'C' based application using the TS3 API.

Paul Anderson
panderso_at_ottawa.net