Re: Exclusive Table Locks

From: Pauli Salmu <p.salmu_at_mn.medstroms.se>
Date: 1995/10/02

Eric Sundby <eric.sundby_at_medaphis.com> wrote:

> I have run into a situation where an application running on Oracle
> 7.1.4.1 seems to like to do full table locks as opposed to row level
> locking. Sometimes the locks do not get released correctly and I get
> whole departments hanging on that one locked table.
>
> Does anyone have an efficient way of identifying locks that are causing
> havoc on a system?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> -Eric Sundby-
> eric.sundby_at_medaphis.com

You can select locking information from system tables/views. Unfortunately I don't have those scripts available right now, but the situation you described sounds much like what happens when there is a foreign key constraint and there is no index on the constrained column. Can cause nice deadlocks too. Received on Mon Oct 02 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message