Re: DBAs and System Managers - War and Peace?

From: Paul Collins <76004.2053_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 1995/10/02

In my last two positions the Sys Admin reported to the DBA. In both cases though Oracle was the only thing running on the systems. In situations where the Sys Admin managed other boxes that had nothing to do with Oracle then They were indirect reports. The bottom line is if the machine runs Oracle then the DBA runs the machine not the Sys Admin. In reality I work very closely with my Sys Admins and we get along very well, but I am the one who makes the final decisions on all aspects of the system. I have complete system privilege and I give my Sys Admin DBA rights on the DB. I train them in important DB tasks and they keep me up to date on the OS. It really works out very well. I think most companies have problems because they give the Sys Admin a reporting structure that does not include the DBA. This encourages a rivalry that should not exist.

--
Paul Collins
DBA