Re: Asynchronous IO (UNIX)

From: Vince Cross <vcross_at_bnr.ca>
Date: 1995/09/30

In article <44i46k$cfc_at_pcnet2.pcnet.net>, Paul Baumgartel <paulb_at_pcnet.com> wrote:
>I don't think asynchronous I/O and the use of raw partitions are related. You can
>use async I/O with database files or raw partitions, if your OS is configured for
>it. Async I/O just means that the DBWR can have multiple writes outstanding at
>once; whether or not the writes go through the Unix filesystem cache doesn't matter.

It depends on your operating system. To use async I/O on HP-UX you need to use raw filesystems. Because of that requirement, I am not using async I/O because I don't want the hassle of raw filesystems (I'd have to completely rewrite my backup scripts).

Vince Cross

--
* disclaimer - My views respresent NT/BNR in every way, NOT!
NOTE - my real email address is bartok_at_bnr.ca, NOT vcross_at_bnr.ca