Re: PL/SQL 2.3

From: Thomas J Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1995/09/29

nolan_at_helios.unl.edu (Michael Nolan) wrote:

>Dixon2_at_ix.netcom.com (Mike Dixon) writes:

>>I was told by a person that just came back from user week that PL/SQL
>>2.3 allows reading of os files. First can anyone tell me if this is
>>true and second if it is true is 2.3 out or when will it be out?

>Yes, there will be a package that can read and write files in PL/SQL 2.3,
>which will be available with Oracle 7.3, scheduled to be available early
>in 1996. The bad news is it doesn't appear that all the tools will
>fully support PL/SQL 2.3 until around Oracle 8. (This means you probably
>won't be able to use Developer/2000 Forms triggers to access files
>until then, although you may be able to encapsulate at least some of the
>functionality into packages.)

Actually, Forms 4.5 already has a TEXT_IO package that allows you to read/write local files. When the server allows you to read/write remote (server based) files, you will be able to access that functionality from Forms by invoking the server stored procedures.

>As I said last week on a similar question, Oracle also plans to put their
>white papers and statements of direction up on their web site, which will
>make it easier to find answers to questions like this in the future. For
>now, if you want the 7.3 statement of direction, call Oracle and they'll
>send/fax it to you.
>--
>Mike Nolan

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government Received on Fri Sep 29 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message