Re: Oracle Data Warehouse

From: harry seldon phd psychohistorian <hseldon_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1995/09/29

cscott_at_interramp.com (Clint Scott) wrote the following:

>RBarber_at_tor.lgs.ca (Rick Barber) wrote:

>>I am about to start a project where I will be building a data
>>50Gbytes with 50 -100Mybtes being added daily and about the same being
>>droped daily.

>You may be unhappy with the RS6000. In several sites in which I have
>used RS6000's performance was not what was promised. Apparently, the
>I/O subsystem of AIX is not the greatest. Look at either a Cray
>CS6400 or HP T500 series.

au contrair on what a model 320?
i can assure you that the performance of one of the newer machines is quite good. and with the journalled filesystem gives very good stability. in over 5 years on an aix (unix like, a little, if you turn your head sideways and squint) i've lost a database only once and that was on 3.1.2 which everyone allowed was satans gift to sysadmins :-(

ergo i would not rule out an rs6k without knowing more about the environment/$$

bill pociengel Received on Fri Sep 29 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message