Re: Storing LONG Columns

From: Debbie <d_shaver_at_testbed.swfpac.lmsc.lockheed.com>
Date: 1995/09/28

Matthew Jones <matjones_at_nla.gov.au> wrote:
>Can anyone explain how long columns are stored in a block (I've read
>the doco about rows being broken into row pieces and chained
>together etc etc)? This question is asked in the following context:

(snip)

>What are the trade-offs between keeping the long column in the same
>table as the extracted data v's storing the formatted data in a long
>column in another table?

I'm not a DBA, so I can't tell you how the long column will be stored, but I was advised (through another list) to put any long columns in a separate table, especially if the long column is not always retrieved in the select. If the long is in the same table, it was suppose to take much longer for full table scans, etc.

Hopefully a DBA type can shed more technical light on this. Received on Thu Sep 28 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message