Re: Oracle7 for Win NT auto startup

From: james.mumper <jimm_at_cbnews.cb.att.com>
Date: 1995/09/28

In article <44ee54$9to_at_geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>, sonny parafina <sonny.parafina_at_access.texas.gov> wrote:
>jimm_at_cbnews.cb.att.com (james.mumper) wrote:
>>In article <44cmn8$jr6_at_isis.fiu.edu>,
>>Eddie Hernandez <ejuan01_at_solix.fiu.edu> wrote:
>>>Scott R. Woolcock (woolcsr_at_texaco.com) wrote:
>>>: I'm new to NT, so I'm having to learn as I go on it.

>>>: How do I get Oracle to automatically start when NT starts up? I've got
><SNIP>
>

>>Let's get this straight - there is no way to get an Oracle database
>>to start up automatically with NT. Either of the solutions so far
>
><SNIP>
>

>>Jim Mumper
>
>Quoted from the Oracle 7/NT CHEAT SHEET by Jack Jolly at Intergraph:
>
>1. Create a batchfile name startup.bat in the oracle bin directory. In that file
> put the following command:
>
> c:\orant\bin\oradim71 -startup -sid ORCL -starttype SERV,INST -usrpwd password
>
> where ORCL is your SID and password is your DBA password. Check paths for your
> installation.
>
>2. Enter registry editor and in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE window find SOFTWARE,
> Microsoft, Windows NT, Current Version, and WinLogon.
>
>3. Double-click on the System line on the RHS of the window to bring up a dialog
> containing a list of commands that run when the machine boots to NT.
>
>4. Add a comma to the end of this line and the full path to the startup.bat
> Windows NT typically has the file lsass.exe in the dialog box, so the new system
> entry would look like this:
>
> lsass.exe, c:\orant\bin\startup.bat
>
> Check the script by shutting down your database and running it from a CMD
> window, clicking on the startup.bat icon in file manager, or execute it from
> the run command in the program manager.
>

>Seems to work for me. You can get a full copy of the cheat sheet and other
>oracle tip sheets at http://www.ingr.com/ --- I don't have the document name, but
>Intergraph has a search facility on its web site. Most of these tip sheets usually
>end in a .txt extension. HTH
>
>--
>Sonny Parafina <sonny.parafina_at_access.texas.gov>
>Solid Waste Services
>City of Austin, TX

Works only after you actually login on the server. Hence the use of the "winlogon' parameter in the registry. Following your steps outlined above, after rebooting the server and attempting to connect to the database from a WFWG client, the following errors are received:

ORA-1034: ORACLE Not available
ORA-09243:smget:error attaching to SGA
OSD-04101:invalid SGA. SGA not initialized

If you get different results, without logging in to the server when you get the WELCOME - Pres CTRL+ALT+DEL to logon screen, I would love to know how.

Jim Received on Thu Sep 28 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message