Re: Oracle7 for Win NT auto startup

From: james.mumper <jimm_at_cbnews.cb.att.com>
Date: 1995/09/28

In article <44cmn8$jr6_at_isis.fiu.edu>, Eddie Hernandez <ejuan01_at_solix.fiu.edu> wrote:
>Scott R. Woolcock (woolcsr_at_texaco.com) wrote:
>: I'm new to NT, so I'm having to learn as I go on it.

>: How do I get Oracle to automatically start when NT starts up? I've got
>: the 'services' (SQL*Net) starting automatically, but can't figure out how
>: to make the DB come up at system startup.

>: Conversely, is there a way to shut Oracle down cleanly when NT comes
>: down? It may be doing it already, but I can't get verification from
>: anybody or anywhere.

>: Can anybody help?
>
>I had the same problem until I looked into the 16-bit Database Manager that
>comes with the Oracle7 Workgroup Server for Win Nt. You can put a copy
>of this icon into your startup group and enter a few parameters to the
>command line found in the File/Properties drop down menu.
>
>Look at your Database Tools Users Guide that comes with your Oracle software
>for the exact parameter and switches.
>
>Have fun,

Let's get this straight - there is no way to get an Oracle database to start up automatically with NT. Either of the solutions so far provided - putting Database Manager in your startup group or adding batch files to the registry will NOT startup your database automatically. The key is - YOU MUST LOGIN FIRST! Otherwise, nothing will happen. I want a solution from Oracle that will start my database during the NT boot sequence and not wait till I log in. If my system boots for some reason - power failure, etc.. - I may not be around to log in and start the database. It would be best if it happened without requiring me to login.

So, let's please stop saying we can automatically start a database instance with NT. We can't.

I feel better,

Jim Mumper Received on Thu Sep 28 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message