Re: Stored Procedures

From: Adam C Rossman <adam.rossman_at_daytonoh.attgis.com>
Date: 1995/09/28

Bernard,

I was wondering why you suggest only using procedures for application logic and not for enforcing business rules ?

				Thanks,
				Adam

==========Bernard Craddock, 9/24/95========== vijia_at_pop.jaring.my ((SV Singam)) wrote:

>I am quite unfamiliar with this subject so please excuse any gross
>ignorance on my part.

>We are trying to implement 2 tier plus strategy in our C/S
>environment.

Have you considered 3t the benefits are substantial

> We have the option of describing the business rules in an
>Oracle Stored Procedure or a PL/SQL script.
Oracle's Stored procedures are only a database packaged implementation of a non-stored PL/SQL script.

If your PL/SQL script ( Logic ) resides on your client then you can expect an increase in network traffic ( not good ) directly proportional to the # of db calls. If
the PL/SQL script is on the server then it has to reside within the DB if your
implementing 2t.

Also note procedures ( stored and non-stored ) should only be used to carry out
application logic, and never to enforce business rules. It's important to realise the
difference.

>On the surface the two look the same - whether calling the scripted
>procedure or the stored procedure seems to achieve the same effect.
>But I'm sure there are differences.

See above

>Could someone help me to identify any performance differences as well
>as future implications with regard to migration etc.
I'll do better than that, buy the book 'Essential C/S Survival guide' by Robert Orfali,
Dan Harkey, Jeri Edwards

Bernard
bcraddoc_at_ozemail.com.au Received on Thu Sep 28 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message