Re: Open Letter to Oracle re Linux (pls read and follow if you agree)

From: Oracle FAQ <orafaq_at_bf.rmit.edu.au>
Date: 1995/09/27

gingram_at_shep.NoSubdomain.NoDomain (Geoff Ingram) writes:

>In article <43smra$dc6_at_aggedor.rmit.EDU.AU>, orafaq_at_bf.rmit.edu.au (Oracle FAQ) writes:
>|>
>|> The first major RDBMS company to support Linux is going to make a
>|> killing.
>|>
>Personally, I would like it. I cant see how anyone would make a killing from it
>though. How much would people be prepared to pay. People using a free OS might
>be a bit reluctant.

(1) I know of one major airline that has requested Oracle on Linux.
(2) Pay the standard Oracle licence as you would for SCO.
(3) Linux does seem more robust and reliable, with more features than SCO.
(4) It would make an excellent platform for Oracle ambassadors who would

    rather run Linux at home.
(5) A free Linux, pay-for Oracle combo is very price-competitive with

    say MS-SQLServer on NT. It would stand a chance of weaning people off     the MS stuff via Andrew.

orafaq_at_bf.rmit.edu.au                 (private mail to dtb_at_bf.rmit.edu.au)
http://www.bf.rmit.edu.au/OracleFAQ   ftp://ftp.bf.rmit.edu.au/pub/Oracle/
http://www.bf.rmit.edu.au/Oracle      http://www.bf.rmit.edu.au/~orafaq
-- NOT TO BE ARCHIVED IN ANY MANNER ON MICROSOFT NETWORK --