Re: Pros and Cons of Separate Servers

From: Clint Scott <cscott_at_interramp.com>
Date: 1995/09/27

Sam De Filippis <sdefilip_at_sashimi.wwa.com> wrote:

>We are currently running Oracle 7.1.4 on an SCO Unix platform and
>developing applications. We are considering the purchase of a few
>software packages, e.g. Financials, and thinking of putting them on
>their own server machine.

>My question is: What are the pros and cons of such an environment?

>Thanks in advance for your response.

>Sam

How many users? If you are running more than 5 or so users, I would recommend getting a separate machine. Financials is failry resource intensive and I don't think you'll be happy with a SCO solution. If you still want to use SCO, put the application executables on one machine and SCO on another. Use SQL*Net to talk between the application server and the back-end server. Just make sure that the SCO DB server box has all of the bandwidth you can give it (ie. not ISA bus). Let me know if I can be of further assistance. Clint Scott
clint.scott_at_cray.com Received on Wed Sep 27 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message