Re: V6 to V7 migration question

From: Nalini Vallampati <nalini.vallampati_at_daytonoh.attgis.com>
Date: 1995/09/26

>In article <4479pj$8o2_at_nntp.interaccess.com> Sapan writes:
>Nalini Vallampati <nalini.vallampati_at_daytonoh.attgis.com> wrote:
>

>>Hello all !

>>I am trying to migrate a version 6 database to version 7, and decided to
>>use the import/export utility. I logged into the V6 database as owner of
>>the database and exported the entire database into a file using:

>>exp system/<password> file=expdat.dmp full=y

>>This created a dump file.

>>My next step was to log into UNIX as owner of the installation ( Oracle7 )
>>in order to create a new database and the tablespace shells into which
>>the Oracle-binary data in the expdat.dmp file can be imported.

>>I copied the parameter files to new filenames ( initAUTO.ora and
 configAUTO.ora
>>),
>>and I modified all the parameters in these files. Then did a startup nomount
>>with these parameter files:

>>SQLDBA> startup nomount pfile=/disk4/oracle/7.1.4/dbs/AUTO/initAUTO.ora
>>ORACLE instance started.
>>SQLDBA> exit
>>SQL*DBA complete.
>>$ sqlplus

>>SQL*Plus: Release 3.1.3.5.1 - Production on Mon Sep 25 15:48:40 1995

>>Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1979, 1994. All rights reserved.

>>Enter user-name: system
>>Enter password:
>>ERROR: ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress

>>Enter user-name:

>>What is happening here ? Before this attempt, when I tried to connect
 internal,
>>the message was that the ARCH process terminated with error. I did an
>>ipcs -b, and removed the ARCH process from the shared memory. Then the
>>instance started. But now I am having this problem...All I want to do is to
>>create
>>the database and some tablespaces in this database.

>>Any opinions as to what I am doing wrong ? Thank you very much...

>>Nalini Vallampati
>>AT&T Capital GIS
>>Miamisburg, OH 45342
>

>>Nalini Vallampati
>>UNIX Admin/Oracle DBA
>>AT&T Capital - Global Information Solutions
>>Miamisburg, OH 45342
>
>Hi,
>You are not mounting the database, nor opening the data files.
>Do that in addition to your startup nomount command.
>You could replace 'nomount' by 'open' and I beleive you will
>be all set.
>Also, connect as 'internal' to use 'startup' command.

Since I am trying to create a new database, there is no database to mount at this point. According to the Server Admin Guide, the 'startup nomount' command will startup the SGA and the background processes in preparation for the creation of a new database.

After this, I am to go into SQLPLUS and use the 'create database' command to create a new database. I am not able to do this since I am not able to get into SQLPLUS as user 'system'.

Thanks,

Nalini

>p.s /*All opinions expressed are mine and do not in any way
> reflect of anyone else's.*/
>
>Sapan Rawal

Nalini Vallampati
UNIX Admin/Oracle DBA
AT&T Capital - Global Information Solutions Miamisburg, OH 45342 Received on Tue Sep 26 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message