Q: Anyone use Software Disk Striping on HPUX?

From: Vince Cross <vcross_at_bnr.ca>
Date: 1995/09/25

Does anyone here use software disk striping in conjuction with their Oracle datafiles on an HPUX system? For those who don't know what it is, software disk striping allows you to create one or more logical partitions up to 4 gig in size across a number of physical drives. The data is physically "striped" across the drives (default of 16k blocks) so that I/O is automatically spread across all drives in the group.

I am considering using this for my data files since it might optimize data access for the database. I was thinking of placing SYSTEM, TEMP, the various data tablespaces, and TOOLS on the same striped group, and placing RBS, redo logs, and archived logs each on their own physical drives. Does this make sense? Feedback? Suggestions? We aren't using RAID and have no plans to move to a RAID system anytime soon (in case anyone was going to suggest that).

Thanks,
Vince Cross

--

* disclaimer - My views respresent NT/BNR in every way, NOT!
NOTE - my real email address is bartok_at_bnr.ca, NOT vcross_at_bnr.ca