Re: Power Object and Blaze

From: IBS Pty Ltd <ibsuucp_at_ibs.dialix.oz.au>
Date: 1995/09/25

In article <reine.lindqvist-210995201938_at_dialup99-026.swipnet.se>, Reine Lindqvist (reine.lindqvist_at_mailbox.swipnet.se) writes:

> First, i have tryed to get my hands on a pre-release of Power Object 1.0
> on CD for Mac, PC or both, but faild. Yes, I have called Oracle here in
>Sweden,
> yet, only the local office in Gothenburg. How do i get it ???
> I'm even interested of buying a full production release without looking at
> the prerelease.

We just downloaded it from the Oracle web page, or u can FTP it. It is about 18megs though.

> Second, how powerful is the Blaze database as a single user database ?
> Where is the limit of storage capacity and when do I reache the point
>where
> i should use an Personal Oracle 7 database instead ? (Well, I am aware of
> the name of this News Group, but still, I expect a truthfully answer...)

Storage capacity does not seem to be a problem with Blaze. There are some limits though. The following is stright from the User's Guide...
This section describes numeric parameters and limits associated with Blaze databases. Parameter Value
Maximum concurrent sessions: 1
Maximum concurrent object locks for a read-only session: 10 Size of database sector: 512 bytes
Size of database block: 4 sectors (2 KB) Maximum size of database file: 2 PB (or limit imposed by operating system) Maximum columns in a table: 8192
Maximum size of a short column: 32 KB
Maximum size of a long column: 4 GB
Maximum total size of all short columns in a table: 1 MB

The areas that you will find annoying are probably to do with modifying the tables (u can't), writing scripts (u can't), and importing/exporting date (u can't).

> /Reine
>
>--
>! Reine Lindqvist
>! Programmer, Bostads AB Poseiodon, Gothenburg, Sweden
>! E-mail : reine.lindqvist_at_mailbox.swipnet.se
>! Work +46 31 321150
>! Home +46 31 448444

Integrated Business Support Pty Ltd Ph +617 3848 0399
123 Hyde Road                         Fax   +617 3848 8844
Yeronga  Qld 4104                     Email support_at_ibs.dialix.oz.au
Australia
Quality software for the banking and finance industries