Re: PowerObject + Oracle VS Powerbuilder + Oracle

From: Gordon E. Hooker <gordonh_at_acslink.net.au>
Date: 1995/09/24

sangam_at_ix.netcom.com (Krishnan C.Sakotai ) wrote:

>Hi folks,

>We are evaluating whether we should go with PowerObject development
>tool with Oracle workgroup server for NT or use Powerbuilder. I would
>like to hear from people who are using either of the above tools with
>their experiences, good or bad.

>Main conerns for us are:
>1. How good is the OCI in Powerbuilder VS native connection(
>supposedly) that PowerObjects has.

>2. Since PowerObject is fairly new, how buggy is it ?

>3. Is the client/server version of PowerObject out ?

>4. Does PB/Oracle pose any constraints on making full use of Oracle's
>power ?

>5. How does Oracle perform with NT ?

>Any reply would be highly appreciated.

>TIA

>Kris Sakotai
>sangam_at_ix.netcom.com

Rather than answer each question individually, I have attached a review of Power Objects for your information:

Subject: Fwd: PC WEEK REVIEW: ORACLE POWER OBJECTS

On Monday, Sept 4th, PC Week published an extremely positive review of Oracle
Power Objects. The review praised Oracle Power Objects for its ease of database connectivity, object orientation, cross platform capabilities, and
ease of learning. "Oracle Power Objects Easier To Use Than Older Competitors"
was one of many subheads that compelled the reader to our new product. Also,
a chart was included that positioned us as the leader in client/server development tools.

This review is a valuable sales and marketing tool which can help us build
market share and replace Visual Basic as the leading workgroup development
tool. We have already shipped over 150,000 copies of Oracle Power Objects,
including a copy to every recipient of Oracle Magazine, and we have commitments from distributors, resellers, and OEMs to purchase another 250,000
copies this year.

The review notes that OPO does not support ODBC. This was originally planned
for V1, but slipped. It will be included in the next release planned for CY96.

Please note that the prices quoted in the article are for the US not Australia.

A Power Play from Oracle
Power Objects Scores With Smooth Access To Database Servers

By Bob Gallagher

Although database servers continue to be among the most complex products on
the market, harnessing their power need not be a strenuous task.

Oracle Corp. has done an outstanding job of simplifying the development of
general-purpose client/server applications with Power Objects 1.0, an easy-to-use, 16 bit programmable front-end tool the company released in late
July.

Power Objects' drag-and-drop features replace the code editors needed in other
products, such as Microsoft Corp.'s aging but widely used Visual Basic Professional 3.0 and Powersoft Corp.'s PowerBuilder Enterprise 4.0. Power
Objects' robust database connection objects give developers control over many
database-server functions.

In addition to Visual Basic and PowerBuilder, Power Objects' competition
includes Borland International Inc.'s Delphi and Symantec corp.'s Team Enterprise Developer. For PC Week Labs' comparison of PowerBuilder and Team
Enterprise Developer, see PC Week, March 20, Page 69.

A 32-bit version of Visual Basic (Version 4.0) is expected to ship this month
and a 32-bit release of Delphi (Delphi 32) is targeted to arrive in November.
PC Week Labs will evaluate these packages later this year.

Corporations that need an enterprisewise development system for tapping the
power of many more database servers and operating systems than Power Objects
can be used with may want to look at more specialized tools that focus on
controlling database transactions. One such product is JAM from JYACC Inc.,
which uses transaction-processing monitors to direct the flow of data to and
from many sources on large-scale distributed systems.

For this review, PC Week Labs tested the Windows version of Oracle's $1,995
Power Objects 1.0. (The client/server edition we used is available for $1,295
until Nov. 24). A Macintosh version is also available. Oracle also offers a
$395 personal edition of Power Objects 1.0, which includes a copy of the
Personal Oracle7 database instead of the three database server drivers found
in the client/server edition in which sells for $99 until Nov. 24.

Development Tools
With the exception of its spartan report editor, Power Objects' tools are
among the best we have seen for developing general-purpose client/server
applications.

Data-entry forms can be created in less time with Power Objects than with
PowerBuilder because Power Objects uses a nonprocedural drag-and-drop method
of placing form objects, such as fields, in a form. For example, without
writing a line of code, we were able to create a two-table data-entry form
displaying customer and invoice information.

We dragged fields from both a master and a detail table onto the customer form
by selecting them from a view of table information that included field name,
type, and size. To display multiple voices for each customer, we dragged
invoice fields on a Repeater display object we had placed on the form.

We linked the data from both tables by supplying information such as the name
and keyfield of the customer table, to the Repeater display object containing
the invoice information. This meant that data from the master and detail
tables was automatically synchronized as we stepped through each customer's
record. Although Power Objects has query-by-form capabilities, its QBF
process is not as straightforward as those found in competing products, such
as Symantec's Team Enterprise Developer.

For example, after we selected the QBF mode, Power Objects displayed a replica
of the customer data-entry form we had created so we could enter search
criteria, such as state = CA into the form's state field and hitting the
search key, which is how the Symantec product works.

Power Objects' report editor is especially difficult to deal with when compared with report editors in other products including PowerBuilder Enterprise, Team Enterprise developer, and the 16-bit versions of Delphi and
Visual Basic.

Although Oracle describes Power Objects' report editor as a banded-style
report editor, we found it more closely resembles the product's form editor.

On the other hand, adding and refining user-interface elements with Power
Objects was as easy as the initial prototyping. In just minutes, we were able
to install the finishing touches, such as form record navigation buttons,
colors, and logos, to our customer data-entry form.

Performance
While Power Objects' overall processing and screen I/O speed as measured in PC
Week Labs' benchmarks was not as quick as some of the competitors' products,
including Borland's Delphi 1.0 (the fastest comparable shipping product that
we have tested to date), PC Week Labs' tests showed Power Objects to be
adequate for general-purpose client/server applications, especially in comparison with Team Enterprise Developer's sluggish performance. In addition, Power Objects' responsiveness during development, which we call
interactive operations, is on a par with all the other products in this class
that PC Week Labs has evaluated.

Underlying Architecture
Despite the powerful programming commands and functions in this first release
of Power Objects, the Oracle tool is suitable for enterprisewide application
projects because it does not support version control, has no other group
development features, and contains no application object repository.

However, Power Objects' underlying architecture, like that of Microsoft's
Visual Basic, is structured so that new class components can extend the basic
functionality of the product. This means that third-party vendors can create
new class libraries that add prebuilt modules to older applications.

Object-Programming Support
Power Objects' object features are outstanding; objects such as the ones that
control access to database servers made development very easy.

The Products' application structure is easy to identify and consistent throughout the development environment. Once we learned how to control the
features of one type of object, learning the next type of object became easier
because all objects share many of the same attributes.

Because attributes of one class object can be inherited from another, form
objects we created from a parent class object inherited all the attributes of
the parent.

In addition, because the logic is encapsulated within each class object, we
were able to create new object classes non-procedurally by using Power Objects' form editor.

Database Support
Power Objects supports Oracle's own database server as well as Sybase Inc.'s
SQL Server, but we were disappointed to learn that it lacks Open Database
Connectivity support.

Power Objects does an excellent job of using the database-server functionality
of the servers it does support. We could quickly connect to PC Week Labs'
Oracle7.1 and Microsoft SQL Server 4.2 database servers after entering their
names and log-in information in a dialog box.

We connected data-entry forms to each server simply by dragging that server's
icon onto the forms. Without any other coding on our part, these forms could
be used to add, delete, and update data on either server.

In addition we could automatically roll back any of these table modifications
in the event that they were not successful.

Desktop Integration; Platform Support
Applications built with Power Objects can be extended to work with other
desktop applications by using Object Linking and Embedding, OCX custom control, and direct link libraries, but, unlike most of the competition, Power
Objects has no import or export routines.

A Macintosh version of Power Objects is also available, providing wider
support than either PowerBuilder or Team Enterprise Developer.

Documentation and Support
Because Power Objects' design is consistent throughout, we were able to
install the product quickly and learn how to create applications with it in
very short order.

In addition to providing support the traditional way--over the phone--Oracle
has a Web site on the Internet that contains third-party class libraries and
application components that can be purchased. The site is expected to offer
bug fixes and enhancements for licensed users.

PCWEEK Labs Scoreboard
Programmable Front-End Tools

		Power Objects 1.0	PowerBuilder		Team Enterprise
		client/server ed.	Enterprise 4.0		Developer 2.0
		Oracle Corp.		Powersoft
Corp.		Symantec Corp.

Development
Tools
Initial
prototyping Excellent Good Excellent

Query and
report Fair Good Good
creation

Adding and
refining user- Excellent Good Good
interface
elements

Performance
Screen I/O Good Good Fair

Processing
Speed Good Good Fair

Interactive
Operations Good Good Good

Resource usage
and require-
ments Good Good Good

Underlying
Architecture
Strength of
programming
language Good Good Good

Version
Control NA NA Good

Group
Development
support NA Good Good

Strength of
repository NA Good Excellent

Object
Programming
Support
Clarity of
application
structure Excellent Good Good

Encapsulation
of data and
logic Excellent Good Good

Ease of
identifying
and reusing
components Excellent Good Good

Database
Support
Database
driver Fair Good Fair
support

Efficiency
of using
database-
server
functions Excellent Good Excellent

Ease of
defining
database-server
connections Excellent Good Excellent

Desktop
Integration
Support for
interapplication
APIs on native
operating
systems Good Good Good

Import/Export
capabilities NA Good Good

Platform
Support
Windows Good Good Good

Macintosh Not Tested NA NA

OS/2 NA NA NA

Unix NA NA NA

Documentation
and Support
Ease of
installation
and learning Excellent Good Excellent

Reference
Materials Good Fair Good

Vendor
Assistance Good Good Good

Power Objects 1.0
Client/Server Edition
Easier to use than older competitors

Strengths:
Easy-to-use drag-and-drop database-server connections; simple nonprocedural
method of creating class objects for reuse; support for Windows and Macintosh
Systems; easier learning curve than PowerBuilder Enterprise or Team Enterprise
Developer.

Weaknesses:
Only a rudimentary report editor; no ODBC support; lack of version control and
other group development features.

Powerbuilder
Enterprise 4.0

Strengths:
ODBC Support; excellent sample application highlighting product features.

Weaknesses:
Version control PVCS only; weak documentation

Team Enterprise Developer 2.0

Strengths:
Easier to learn than Powerbuilder Enterprise; choice of built in version
control or version control via PVCS; automatic creation of database triggers
with trigger express.

Weaknesses:
Lackluster performance; support for ODMC only.

Bottom Line:
Corporations looking for an easy to use database development tool for a single
department should evaluate the client/server edition of Oracle's Power Objects, especially if they have Macintoshes as well as Windows systems.
Although Powersoft's PowerBuilder Enterprise and Symantec's Team Enterprise
Developer are also well suited for building general-purpose client/server
applications, Power Objects' convenient drag-and-drop database connections put
it ahead of those two competitors. On the other hand, Power Objects' lack of
group development features prohibits its deployment throughout an enterprise.

Oracle Power Objects is now orderable. Part numbers are:

	A36774-2 - Windows Client/Server, $1995 US / $2495 Global
	A36775-2 - Macintosh Client/Server, $1995 US  / $2495 Global
	A34590-1 - Personal Edition, Either platform, $395 US or $495 Global
			Competitive upgrade $99 US

The kits will be in stock worldwide by Tuesday, 9/19; we will back-order
orders for the product until kits are available. The product is downloadable
at WWW.Oracle.Com today.

(Promotions listed in the PC Week review have been canceled in favor of the
$99 Competitive upgrade, which applies to VB, Access, FoxPro, and Omnis users)

  • End of Message ----

--Boundary-2320325-0-0--

%UEND

Gordon Hooker MACS PCP                                     ,--_|\
25 Clarke Street, Ripley, Queensland, 4306, Australia     /      \
gordonh_at_acslink.net.au                                    \_.--._/
mobile: 018883835 phone: 61-7-2889716                           V
It is far better to remain silent and appear a fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt... Received on Sun Sep 24 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message