Re: HELP!!!! INDEXES and SQL Loader

From: Alexandr I. Alesinsky <al_at_investor.kharkov.ua>
Date: 1995/09/23

>Hi,
> We are having some bad performance problems on some of the
>views and
>were wondering if it had anything to do with the sqlloader. We run
>nightly
>updates to our oracle tables using sqlloader. Someone mentioned that
>if you
>load more than 10% of the tablespace(which we do) using sqlloader then
>the
>indexes get fragmented and you would have to rebuild the indexes. Does
>anyone know if this is right? Any help would be appreciated. Please
>post
>your replies here or send it to raj_at_cs.clemson.edu

You are nearly right (and this is documented by Oracle) with two minor corrections - 18% not of tablespace, but table, and indexes may become unbalanced (not fragmented). In your case dropping the indexes before batch loading and recreating its after loading completion may be a better solution. But for more precious reccomendation more information is needed.

 Best wihes,

 Alexandr Alesinsky,
 JSV Investor Received on Sat Sep 23 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message