Re: Indexing & text fields

From: Paul Zola <pzola_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1995/09/23

RBVH73A_at_prodigy.com (Ken Paris) writes:

>I am creating a character string (not sure of the length yet, may be 80,
>may be more) which contains comments. I would like to be able to create
>an index so that Oracle can quickly find all rows which contain a
>specific string (e.g. all rows where this column contains the string
>'Relational').
>
>Does the DBMS have the capability to do this? If not, is there any
>Oracle or third party product offering which can accomplish this?

You are asking for the functionality provided by Oracle's TextServer product. The current release is 3.0. It provides for very fast word-based querying of large amounts of free text. It also provides for wildcards and combined searches (e.g. - All documents that contain the words 'Relational' and 'Database', but don't contain the word 'Sybase').

>One other question. Is there any problem with case sensitivity? Since
>end-users will be entering data, we have no control over whether they use
>upper or lower case and I'd prefer not to create a duplicate column which
>is all upper case and then convert the search string into upper case to
>get a match using this duplicate column.

TextServer, and it's earlier version SQL*TextRetreival, perform case-INsensitive searches.

>Thanks in advance.

Paul Zola                                             Senior Technical Analyst
World-Wide Technical Support                                 Tools Escalations
Computers possess the truly profound stupidity of the inanimate. - B. Sterling Received on Sat Sep 23 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message