Re: Stored Procedures

From: John Thomas <John_at_toronto.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1995/09/23

I hope I understand your question correctly:

vijia_at_pop.jaring.my ((SV Singam)) wrote:
>I am quite unfamiliar with this subject so please excuse any gross
>ignorance on my part.
>
>We are trying to implement 2 tier plus strategy in our C/S
>environment. We have the option of describing the business rules in an
>Oracle Stored Procedure or a PL/SQL script.

The main difference between a stored procedure and a script is simply that the stored procedure is kept in the database.

Both the stored procedure and the script will be cached in the shared pool so there should be little or no performance differences.

The big advantage of a procedure is that it can be called (with parameters if required) from any of the Developer/2000 tools. Thus complex functionality can be tested & then hidden from developers., improving reliability.