Re: Designer2000 Reverse Engineer bugs

From: Doug Harris <ah513_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: 1995/09/22

 (gary.wong_at_cyberstore.ca) writes:
> Lastly, I *think* I agree with your statement about GPF's. After repeated, heavy use of Designer functions/utilities, my Windows
> session goes kablooey; I'm just not sure whether to blame Designer or Windows's memory management (probably both =8^).

   Blame Windows for at least 90% of your GPFs. There is a utility available on ftp.microsoft.com called FIX1MB. The cause of most of these GPFs is Windows running out of DOS memory. Windows 3.1(1) is a DOS app and needs the lower 640k to do all of it's work. When DLL's request fixed memory from the global heap, Windows gives away it's DOS memory to it's own detriment. FIX1MB forces DLLs to leave the DOS memory for windows' use. It doesn't eliminate GPFs but significantly reduces them.

   Just a few tips...A lot of applications or windows services *demand* DOS memory and won't start up with FIX1MB running. Don't use the option to put it in your config.sys. Start fix1mb before you begin working with Developer/2000 or Designer/2000 and then leave it running. It also provides a nice running report on who is using the DOS memory and how much is left. You need at least a minimum of 80 to 100K available to prevent GPFs. If you get a GPF and FIX1MB says you gave plenty of DOS memory left (and progman says you have lots of resources left) THEN YOU CAN BLAME THE ORACLE TOOL 8). FIX1MB is available at ftp.microsoft.com in directory /developr/MSJ in file MSJMAY95.EXE which expands to file wqa9505.exe which expands to fix1mb.

   I've experienced much better stability running the tools under Windows NT and recently (since yesterday) have been trying them out under Windows 95. So far I've had smooth sailing.

--
   - Doug Harris
     IS Project Leader, Prices Division,