Who is connected?

From: Margaret Burwell <aj739_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: 1995/09/22

This problem arose just the other day.

We have Oracle installed on a DEC Alpha running OpenVMS. Daily backups are timed to start each morning at 7:00 am when the operator comes on duty and can mount the necessary tape. The job closes down each instance and then prompts the operator to mount the proper tape. Yesterday morning, one of the databases could not be closed. We believe it was because a user was still connected somewhere. I deleted the backup job. Now nobody could connect to that database because shutdown was in progress. I completed the shutdown using shutdown abort instance and then started the database up so people could connect.

Before shutting down the instance, I should have checked to see who was connected, but hindsight is 20/20. Is there any way - after the fact - to find out who was connected at the crucial time?

Marg Received on Fri Sep 22 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message